12.11.08

I'll Take It: Keeping Contemporary Culture and Materials in Our Classes

This came over my NCTE email this morning: The Code of Best Practices for Media Literacy Education. The nice part is that it is put together by lawyers who have read the constitution and are willing to fight for our rights. This is very unlike the obnoxious local "copyworks" representative who was ready to jump up and down to tell me how all coursepacks require royalties. To you I respond:principle two. That's right, principle two.

Its been awhile since I have had the opportunity, academically or otherwise, to mention DJ Spooky. But every time I think about copyright, I think about how smart, engaging, and important Rhythm Science really is. And its nice to know that there are forces out there working to protect everyone's right to engage the cultural mix.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spooky's material has become increasingly important for my classroom in recent semesters. I use excerpts from his latest collection, -Sound Unbound-, to lead out a couple of classes. -RS- is also a favorite.

Have you seen the trailer for his Terra Nova project? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCpPNxCnixY

Another good selection can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtBN8xdqnF0

We did a class in recently in a ChatRoom that discussed these works (and others) while they were playing. Indeed, I might even go so far as to suggest that what was happening was, well, a "Happening" :-)

So glad JB introduced Miller's work years ago. (Can you believe it has been years ago?